According to Mike Harsh, they are looking at the following possible future features of OOB in Silverlight:
- Features supporing OOB apps constantly running as a service (“in the tray”), such as a possiblity to change the tray icon dynamically or otherwise show
a notification to the user. (http://videos.visitmix.com/MIX09/T45F, timecode 56:05)
- Drag and Drop, File Associations and Command Line Arguments (same url, timecode 59:02)
- Integration with the shell, ie. task bar and Jump lists of Windows 7 and Search (this and following starting from timecode 60:00)
- Persistent Download Services (something like BITS)
- Integration with HTML
- Uninstall OOB apps from the context menu of the app icon.
- Perhaps, a possibility to terminate the app programmatically from inside of it
- A way to control detaching process (what components will be downloaded during detaching etc)
- OOB support for Windows Mobile
- Printing support
- Database support for isolated storage
- Perhaps the possibility to control the look of the window border.
My personal favorites are Download Manager, File Associations and Command Line arguments, and I have nothing else to wish for. Where can I vote for them? :)